Creating Good Looking 16x16 Icons

Having a decent icon for your application or site can mean the difference between it looking either professional or like the work of an amateur. In the past, I've never really needed to bother with icons, I've always just used a freely licensed icon by someone else, but for QuantumFTP I wanted to create my own. The first few versions of the program had a pretty ugly favicon which looked awful in the taskbar, but after some experimentation in Photoshop, I came up with what I think is a good looking result.

To start, you'll need an some decent image editing software - Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or The GIMP and a copy of Axialis Icon Workshop. You'll also need a plugin to save images as .ico files

• Start with a canvas of 64x64 pixels, the colour depth isn't important for the minute.
  • Create your icon. I used a Q with a gradient overlay.
  • Resize the image to 16x16. You'll notice the clarity will drop but that's because there are 1/16th as many pixels to display the fine details.
    The image should still look good, but that's because it's got an aplha channel to render semi-transparent pixels.
  • Change the colour mode to indexed colour by selecting Image->Mode->Indexed Color.
    You'll need to play around with the settings here to find what works best for the image you're working ok. For me, a green Matte worked well.
  • After decreasing the colour depth, the image might not look as good at high zoom, but that's Ok because it will only be displayed at 16x16 pixels.
  • Save the image as a .ico file using the plugin from Telegraphics.
  • Now open Axialis. If you already have an icon containing multiple format, for an application for example, create a new format for the 16x16 icon. Otherwise you'll need to create a new icon.
  • Open the icon you exported in Photoshop, then copy and paste it into your new icon format in Axialis. Choose to create a new palette.
  • Save the icon in Axialis, then either add it to your webpage or use it in your application.
  • Since this is an application icon, I updated my form in Visual Studio and here's the result.

Also available (with images) at LegHumped.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi, im new to this site, and i need help, but if im posting in wrong spot message me pls. i need and avatar, i have a rough draft made up, but i need someone to take it and make it better. can someone help me? i can figure something out for the service.. her it is, the top ring is gold the left one is steel, the last ring is crtyal, and the triangle is iron. But this avatar i dont want the text up top. plssss anyone... you can play with it make it like you would like it, but it has to be in those orders.. tys again..

post-253678-1212261813_thumb.jpg

You can also just use favicon generator found here to resize any image of any size.

But that's not what the guide shows. Just resizing an image and reducing the colour depth results in the problem which this guide shows you how to avoid. ;)

hi, im new to this site, and i need help, but if im posting in wrong spot message me pls. i need and avatar, i have a rough draft made up, but i need someone to take it and make it better. can someone help me? i can figure something out for the service.. her it is, the top ring is gold the left one is steel, the last ring is crtyal, and the triangle is iron. But this avatar i dont want the text up top. plssss anyone... you can play with it make it like you would like it, but it has to be in those orders.. tys again..

Sorry, this is a thread about creating 16x16 program/favicons, not resizing images to use as avatars.

• 2 months later...